Baking soda – it’s not just for baking!
If I could only have one type of cleaning product for my whole house, it would be baking soda – pure and simple. Non-toxic baking soda has so many practical uses without the worry of harsh chemicals. Here are just a few:
- Safely clean baby or pet toys – Use 4 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 quart of warm water. Wash toys with a clean damp sponge or cloth, rinse and dry.
- Clean baby equipment (stroller, high chair, changing table, exersaucer, swing, etc.) – Just sprinkle baking soda on a clean damp sponge and rub the item clean. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
- Freshen and deodorize carpets – sprinkle baking soda on the carpet, let sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum it up
- Cleaning bathroom tubs, tile and sinks – even shiny fiberglass and glossy tiles- sprinkle baking soda lightly on a clean damp sponge and scrub as usual. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Freshen sponges – Soak stale-smelling sponges in a strong baking soda solution to get rid of the mess and bring in the fresh (4 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 quart of warm water).
- Clean your produce of dirt and other residue – Just sprinkle a little baking soda on a clean damp sponge, scrub and rinse.
- Clean your counter tops – Sprinkle baking soda onto a clean damp sponge or cloth and wipe clean, rinse thoroughly, then dry.
What else do YOU use baking soda for?
Thanks to Arm & Hammer for many of these great tips.
Have any green tips youâ€™ve recently learned? Please email them to me and I may include your tip with a link to your site or blog in a future post. :)Stumble it!