If your house is anything like mine lately, you’ve had an infestation of flies – both of the house and fruit variety. Here are some tips I’ve run across over the past several weeks that have helped me deal with mine, naturally.
For Houseflies (or poop bugs as my daughter called them until her preschool teacher corrected her – hehe):
- Using a fly swatter is the best way to rid your house of them
- Hang a clear plastic bag of water (half-full) on or near your door. It will deter them from coming in your house in the first place. (I’m still trying out this method.)
- Â Fill a shallow bowl of red wine, red wine vinegar OR apple cider vinegar (I’ve had luck with all three of these)
- Add a few drops of dish soap to it and mix it in with your finger
- Leave on your counter top
- The fruit flies will gather on the rim of the bowl and, eventually, dive on in and drown
- Leave out a wine bottle with an inch or so of red wine at the bottom.
- The flies get trapped. They go in, but can’t get out.
- Make a cone out of a sheet of paper (like a funnel) to fit in a cup
- Pour a small amount of apple cider vinegar into the cup
- Place the funnel into the cup, but don’t let it touch the vinegar
- Tape the paper funnel to the cup
- The flies will go down into the cup but won’t be able to fly back out
Please note: When trying to rid your home of fruit flies, it’s best to rid your counter tops of fresh or rotting produce (which will attract the fruit flies and is a breeding ground for them) by either putting it in the refrigerator or covering it. You should also wash all dishes, clean all drains and empty your trash.
What’s worked for you? Have any tips to share?
Have any green tips youâ€™ve recently learned? Please email them to me and I may include your tip with a link to your site or blog in a future post. :)
If you are new to my blog and want to stay updated on other green tips, please sign up for my RSS feed. Thanks!