First there was 10 Simple Ways to Green Your Halloween. Now here are 10 Simple Ways to Green Your Thanksgiving and reduce your impact on the earth. Pick one or two or do them all. Every little bit helps. :)
1. Be aware of the amount of packaging in the foods you purchase. For example, instead of buying a can of pumpkin to make a pumpkin pie, buy a pie pumpkin. Instead of buying a ready-made pie crust, make your own from scratch.
2. Just say no to environmentally destructive factory farms. Buy a free-range Heritage turkey or go meatless.
3. Buy organic. Buy local. Whenever you can, buy organic foods. Organic foods aren’t just better for your health, they are better for the earth and animals as well. If you can buy local foods and reduce your meal’s carbon footprint and support your local economy, all the better.
4. Use a cloth tablecloth and cloth napkins. No disposable paper products.
5. Use real plates, glasses and silverware. If you don’t have enough place settings for all of your guests, ask them to bring their own. Again, the trick is not to use any disposable paper/plastic products.
6. Centerpiece. Use things from around the house to make a one-of-a-kind Thanksgiving centerpiece. Have your kids help! Or if you must buy flowers, make sure they are organic.
7. Eat your leftovers. Make sure you put away leftovers in a timely manner into the refrigerator or freezer. If you don’t think you will eat them all, send some home with your guests.
8. Compost your table scraps.
9. Recycle anything that can be recycled.
10. Be thankful. Don’t forget to express your gratitude for all that you have, including the earth.
- From Green Your Decor – Host a stylish, zero-waste Thanksgiving
- From Super Eco – 5 Ways to Green Your Thanksgiving
- From Earth911 – 8 Easy Green Thanksgiving Tips
Don’t miss a single CDG post, subscribe to my blog.